What is Cellulite?
Skin that is dimpled and often called “cottage cheese” or “orange peel” in appearance is cellulite, which is actually a disease and there is no cure. However, there are ways to reduce the appearance.
What Causes Cellulite?
It occurs when the fat herniates through the connective tissue producing nodules or lumpiness to the appearance of the skin. The causes are thought to be hereditary, genetic, diet and lifestyle – however it is not completely known why some people get it and others don’t.
Typically women experience cellulite more than men and lighter pigmented skins more than darker. It can worsen with age and can be visible at any weight.
After Successful Treatment, How Can I Prevent My Cellulite From Coming Back?
Toronto cellulite patients can keep their condition under control with regular SpaMedica maintenance programs. Monthly VelaSmooth Treatments keep the skin firm and free of the “lumpiness”.
Please note that exercise does not cure cellulite but it can help reduce fat and keep the body trim and firm.
- Cellulite impacts about 90% of women at some point in their life.
- It is a myth that toxins in your body are the cause.
- A decrease in estrogen as women age seems to be the cause of worsening cellulite over time.
- Cellulite is genetic and you are more likely to get it if your mom had it.
- If you do exercise to decrease the appearance, strength training is important, as it helps tone and tighten. Cardio alone won’t do it.
- There is almost no evidence that creams or scrubs with caffeine, ginger, and green or black tea help long term. Your only solution for true reduction is seeing a doctor that is experienced in reduction treatments.
- Liposuction is not a solution (it may be part of an entire treatment plan, but lipo on its own will not treat lipo successfully).
- Diet alone won’t help reduce it but eating healthy foods, especially foods with a high water content will help you lose weight and look and feel healthier, it will also keep your connective tissue strong and supple.
- Clothing does not help nor worsen your condition. Tight clothing for activity may help keep the “jiggle” in place but once you remove the clothing, the benefit is gone.
- Smoking will worsen the appearance of cellulite.
SpaMedica has been serving cellulite patients in our Toronto clinic since 1997. SpaMedica is Canada’s oldest, most recognized and reputable Laser Skin Care and Cosmetic Dermatology center.
The first step in reducing your cellulite is a consultation so the doctor can evaluate it and explain exactly what it is and how the treatment works.
Patients can secure a consultation with Dr. Mulholland or the SpaMedica team by filling out the online consultation request form or call SpaMedica now at 877-695-2835 to schedule a cellulite reduction consultation and treatment today.